1. Who are we?
1.1 Who are we?
In this policy the “Bay Mazda Limited” (or “we” or “us”) is:
- Bay Mazda Limited (“Bay Mazda Limited”);
We understand that your personal information and credit information (“information”) is important to you and we value your trust. This policy sets out how Mazda NZ handles your information. It also includes how we handle information collected from third parties.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1993 (“Privacy Act”) and all supporting regulations.
Bay Mazda Limited is part of the Mazda Network, which includes:
- Mazda Motors of New Zealand Limited (“Mazda NZ”);
- Authorised Mazda Dealers in New Zealand;
Bay Mazda Limited collects and shares with other members of the Mazda Network your personal information so that Mazda Network can provide you with an integrated Mazda experience including allowing you to be known across the Network regardless of which Mazda entity you choose to deal with and to provide you with products, services, information and assistance, respond to your enquiries and help keep your information up to date. Your information may be disclosed to Mazda Network service providers in New Zealand and overseas for these purposes.
2 What information do we collect and hold?
2.1 What information do we collect and hold?
The kinds of information that we collect and hold about you will depend on the nature of your dealings with us.
Information we collect about you: We may collect and hold information about you including:
- Contact information and identification such as your name, date of birth, contact number(s), email address(es), residential and/or business address(es), demographic information (such as postcode, age, gender) and driver’s licence details;
- Payment details (such as account or credit card details) and payment-related information in connection with your purchase of our products and/or services;
- Vehicle and servicing details including vehicle registration, vehicle purchase details, name of your selling or servicing Mazda Dealer, service appointment bookings, vehicle service and repair history (including in relation to Mazda service, warranty, repairs and recalls, if applicable), data collected as a result on-board vehicle telematics;
- Finance details such as financial, insurance or credit information, marital status, employment details and history; and
- Information collected from marketing campaigns, product research, customer surveys, your interactions with us including via social media, or publicly available information that you post or publish.
If you do not wish to provide particular information, we may not be able to respond to your query, provide you with our products and services or assess your application for a product or service.
Sensitive information: We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise allowed or required by law to collect that information). Sensitive information includes information about your health, race, ethnic origin and religious beliefs.
Providing someone else’s personal information: If you provide us with personal information about another person (such as a joint vehicle owner or authorised driver or contact person), please tell them about this Policy so they are aware that you have provided their information to us and that they can read this Policy to understand how their information will be handled.
3 Information we collect automatically
3.1 Information we collect automatically
Whenever you visit or interact with a Bay Mazda Limited website or other online platform of ours (“Platforms”), we, as well as any third-party service provider and/or advertiser, may use a variety of technologies that automatically or passively record information about how the Platform is accessed and used (“Usage Information”). Usage Information may include your IP address or other unique identifier for the device used to access a Platform ("Device Identifier"), browser type, “Device” type (computer, mobile phone, tablet or other device), operation system, application version, date and time of visit, pages viewed, preceding page views and your use of features or applications on the Platform such as interactions with connections or groups.
Usage Information helps us keep our Platforms relevant to users and allows us to tailor content to a user’s interests. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we will treat it as personal information.
We may use Device Identifiers to help us administer Platforms, diagnose problems with our servers, analyse trends, observe Platform usage and activity over time, help identify you and your shopping cart, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use.
Cookies (data files placed on a Device when it is used to visit a Platform) may be used to associate you with social media platforms like Facebook and, if you so choose, enable interaction between your activities on our Platforms and those social media platforms. We or our vendors may place cookies on your Device for security purposes, to facilitate site navigation and personalise your experience while visiting our Platforms (such as allowing us to select which ads or offers are most likely to appeal to you, based on your interests, preferences, location or demographic information).
To learn how you may manage cookies, or delete cookies that have already been installed, please refer to your browser’s help menu or instructions. If you disable or opt out of receiving cookies, some features and functions on our Platforms may not work properly or fully because we may not be able to recognise and associate you with your Mazda account(s). In addition, the offers we provide may not be as relevant to you or tailored to your interests.
If you do not wish to participate in our Google Adwords Remarketing, you can opt out by visiting Google's Ads Preference Manager (myaccount.google.com/u/0/privacy?pli=1#ads).
Facebook: To learn more about how to opt out of Facebook Interest-Based Advertising, go to the Privacy tab on the Facebook website footer, and then select Facebook Ads Controls.
4 How do we collect your information?
4.1 How do we collect your information?
We may collect information in a variety of ways, including directly from you, for example:
- When you complete a form to order a vehicle, parts or accessories, book your vehicle for servicing, or make a general enquiry about our products and services;
- When you contact or interact with us whether in person, by email, phone, SMS or other forms of communication, or via our website or social media;
- When you use data-collecting devices, products or systems; or
- When you participate in our surveys, competitions, promotions, events, sponsorships or other activities.
We also collect personal information about vehicle owners from the Motor Vehicle Register, in accordance with our authorisation to access the Motor Vehicle Register for specified purposes under section 241 of the Land Transport Act 1998.
We may collect information from organisations within the Mazda Network, such as:
- Authorised Mazda Dealers, if you interact with or purchase products or services from that dealer; or Mazda Motors of New Zealand Limited.
Sometimes, we may collect your information from third parties such as:
- Providers of data-collecting devices, products or systems that you use;
- Your accountant for the purposes of assessing a credit application;
- Where an individual is an officer of a company that has applied for credit, we may collect information about the officer from public records or from other officers of the company who arranged that company's credit application;
- When named as a personal referee by you, we collect that personal referee's personal information from the written credit application form;
- Another credit provider where you have or had a credit account;
- The Credit Reporting Body (“CRB”) where we obtain your credit report;
- Your insurer or broker;
- Contractors performing a service or function on our behalf;
- Regulatory authorities;
- Marketing agencies and similar lists which are legally acquired by us; and
- Any other parties you refer us to or who refer us to you.
5 What are the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your information?
5.1 What are the purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your information?
Bay Mazda Limited collects, holds, uses and discloses your information for a variety of purposes including:
- To provide you with an integrated Mazda experience;
- Any purpose which we notify you about when we collect your information or to which you have provided your consent;
- Considering and assessing your application for a product or service;
- Providing a Mazda product or service to you (including via our authorised Mazda Dealers, agents and/or contractors where applicable);
- Providing customer assistance and support such as vehicle service reminders, recalls and assisting with warranty claims;
- Responding to your enquiries, concerns or complaints;
- Administering and managing our relationship with you, including by verifying your identity in order to provide a requested service;
- Informing you about products, services, special offers and/or events from the Mazda Network. For more on Direct Marketing, see section 6 below;
- Improving your customer experience and our marketing, including through data analytics, product planning, product development and research;
- Protecting our interests, including by registering a security interest on the Personal Property Securities Register or checking against sanctions or other reference lists;
- Complying with our legal obligations, assisting government and enforcement bodies or regulators, or where otherwise required or authorised by or under law, or an order of a court or tribunal; and
- Assessing and considering your application (if applicable) as a prospective job applicant, dealer/franchisee or contractor.
We may publish (including by posting on social media) customer testimonials/video testimonials which may contain personally identifiable information. We will obtain the customer’s consent prior to publishing the testimonial along with their name.
6 Direct marketing
6.1 Direct marketing
The Mazda Network (or any of the entities which make up the Mazda Network including their agents and contractors if any acting on their behalf) may send you direct marketing to inform you about products or services, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you. These marketing communications may include joint promotions with Mazda Dealers or other promotion partners, and may be sent to you using any contact details provided by you, such as post, phone, email or SMS.
Please note that the organisations comprising the Mazda Network are separate organisations. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications and surveys from a member of the Network, you can let that organisation know at any time using the contact details in their respective privacy policies or utilising the “unsubscribe” or other opt-out function offered by the organisation.
If you do not wish to receive any marketing communications from Bay Mazda Limited, you can let the relevant organisation know using the contact details provided in section 14 “Contacting us” below, or by utilising the “unsubscribe” function in electronic communications from the organisation. In some circumstances we may need to contact you to obtain additional information, verify your identity or to clarify your request, in order to action it.
Your consent to receive direct marketing communications from the Mazda Network in the above ways will be deemed if you do not opt out when you are offered the opportunity to do so, and will remain current on an ongoing basis unless and until you advise otherwise.
If the law requires us to provide you with information about our products or services (for example, product recalls), we will provide that information even if you have elected not to receive information about our products and services generally.
7 Who do we disclose your information to?
7.1 Who do we disclose your information to?
We may share your information within the Mazda Network in order to provide an integrated Mazda guest experience across our Network.
Your vehicle logbook data, and service and repair history (including in relation to warranty and recalls, if applicable) may be made available to subsequent owners (if any) of your vehicle. We do not disclose any personally identifying information about you to subsequent owners of your vehicle.
We may disclose your information to others including:
- The Mazda Networks related bodies corporate (including the parent company Mazda Motor Corporation in Japan);
- Our agents or contractors which perform a particular function or service on our behalf;
- Government and law enforcement agencies, bodies and regulators, or a dispute resolution body of which we are a member, if we are required to disclose your information to such authorities; or
- Your employer or former employer (for example, to conduct a reference check for potential employment or finance applications).
Examples of our third party agents or contractors include:
- Mailing houses;
- Organisations that assist us to conduct promotions or market research;
- Customer support providers;
- Information technology service providers;
- Business application and website providers;
- Accountants, lawyers and other professional advisors.
We may also disclose your information to third parties where required or authorised by or under law.
We will not sell, pass on, or share any information you provide to us any third parties that are not part of the Mazda Network.
8 Holding and protecting your information
8.1 Holding and protecting your information
We may hold information about you in digital and paper forms. We take reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse, loss, interference, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Some of the ways we protect your information include:
- External and internal premises security;
- Restricting access to your information only to personnel who need it to perform their functions;
- Utilising and maintaining information security applications to prevent unauthorised access or damage to electronically stored information, such as requiring identifiers and passwords, firewalls and anti-virus software; and
- Maintaining physical security over paper records.
9 Disclosing your information overseas
9.1 Disclosing your information overseas
We may disclose your information to organisations located overseas. These include:
- Our related companies in Japan and elsewhere in the world; or
- Our service providers that are located or hold data overseas including in the USA, Australia, Singapore, the UK and Japan.
Accessing and correcting your information
10.1 Accessing and correcting your information
You can generally access and request the correction of information we hold about you by contacting us in any of the ways set out at the bottom of this policy. Please note that the organisations comprising the Mazda Network (that is, each of Mazda NZ, Mazda Finance, and each Mazda Dealer) are separate organisations, and each organisation may hold different information about you (if any).
Access to your information may be refused in a number of circumstances, such as where the information relates to anticipated legal proceedings or if the request for access is frivolous or vexatious. If we deny or restrict your access, we will write to you to let you know why, unless, having regard to the grounds for the refusal, it would be unreasonable for us to do so. You may make a complaint about a refusal to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.
We rely on the information that we hold about you to provide our products and services to you, and to perform our business functions. Therefore, it is very important that the information we hold is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. This means that, from time to time, we may ask you if your information is still accurate and up to date. If you find that any information that we hold about you is incorrect, you should contact us immediately and we will take reasonable steps to correct it.
11 Resolving concerns
11.1 Resolving concerns
If you believe that your privacy has been compromised, or if you feel that we have breached the privacy laws, you are entitled to make a complaint. Complaints can be made by contacting the person or department you were dealing with, or by contacting us using our contact details set out at the bottom of this policy.
We endeavour to respond to you within 24 hours to acknowledge the complaint and explain how we will investigate it. This may include consulting with the CRB or other credit providers if the complaint relates to your credit information. We will try to resolve your complaint within 20 working days and write to you to explain the reasons for our decision. When this is not possible, we will contact you and let you know how long it will take for us to resolve your complaint.
If your complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with Office of the Privacy Commissioner by visiting www.privacy.org.nz, calling 0800 803 909 or using the online complaint form. If your complaint relates to your finance with us you may access the Insurance and Financial Services Ombudsman Service at www.ifso.nz or by calling 0800 888 202.
12 Contacting us
12.1 Contacting us
You can contact Bay Mazda Limited by:
- Telephone: (06) 867 6759
14 SMS Charges
14.1 SMS Charges
Standard message rates apply when sending text messages to the short code service